Baba's Beeswax was founded in 1991 by Joan Brander. As a child in rural Saskatchewan she was fascinated with the Ukrainian tradition of pysanky that was passed down through the generations
from her grandmother, whom she called "Baba". Joan began demonstrating pysanky in the community where educators and program directors took notice of her teaching skills and friendly
manner. It wasn't long before they asked her to conduct workshops for them.
The increasing demand for Joan's knowedge about pysanky and for affordable and accessible supplies motivated her to do more with her egg decorating hobby. As her early years were spent
in her parents' hardware store, starting her own pysanka enterprise was a logical next step. She didn't have to look far to find the ideal name: Baba because she was her
inspiration and teacherBeeswax because of its significance to the technique.
We have been publishing pysanka-themed books, videos, powerpoints, newsletters, teaching aids and pamphlets since 1995. A pioneer on the internet, we have had a website since 1997.
Today Baba's Beeswax, with its whimsical name, continues as a family business located in Richmond, BC. Joan's husband Tom, a fabricator-welder by trade, teamed up with her to add his
technical and safety skills. He not only helps with the day-to-day business of workshops and kits, but also manufactures many supplies we sell. Our workforce has grown as family and
friends from Toronto to Vancouver have shown interest in what we do and how we do it.
To inspire and encourage beginners, experts, and anyone interested in Ukrainian egg decorating to discover the magic of one of the great traditions of all timePYSANKY!
From pysanky supplies and kits to workshops and books, we have everything you need to make beautiful pysanky the traditional way. Learning pysanky is easy, fun and affordable.
|A Family Business since 1991 some of our pysanky experts
|Our Facilities in Richmond
Published by Baba's Beeswax
- 2017 Pihsahnkih dlya Zadovolennya Pamphlet in Ukrainian (free)
- 2016 Discover the Magic of Pysanky (powerpoint)
- 2016 Discover the Magic of Pysanky (video)
- 2014 Pysanka Power Writing Eggs with Beeswax and Dyes: Instructions, information, and money saving tips for all levels of experience (eBook)
- 2014 On s'amuse avec Pysanky Pamphlet in French (free)
- 2014 Pysanky Party Pamphlet Hey Kids! It's a pysanky party with Guy Kistka, Katie Kandle, the Dye Guys, and Baby Beeswax (free)
- 2014 What would Guy Kistka say? (free pamphlet)
- 2014 About the PysankaIt Is Written! A Bibliography (eBook)
- 2013 Pysanky Library and published works of Joan Brander (video)
- 2013 Learn Pysanky with Joan Brander at Delta Museum and Archives 2002 to 2008 (video)
- 2013 Pysanky Gallery and collection of Joan Brander (video)
- 2013 Joan Brander's Pysanky Studio (video)
- 2012 Pysanka Power! Birthday Party Ideas & Planner
- 2012 Pysanka Power! Birthday Party Ideas & Planner (eBook)
- 2012 Our Tee Shirts Get Around (video)
- 2012 Annual Pysanky Ukrainian egg decorating Workshops (video)
2012 Pysanka Power Pamphlet #2 Trypillian Designs
2012 Pysanka Power Pamphlet #4 Hanging Pysanky
2012 Pysanka Power Pamphlet #5 Holiday Ornaments
- 2012 Pysanka Power #6 Bleached Pysanky
- 2012 Pysanka Power #7 Traditional Egg Division
- 2012 Pysanka Power #8 Colors and Their Meanings
2012 Pysanka Power #9 How to Get Beautiful Results the Very First Time
- 2012 Pysanka Power #10 How to Empty Your Pysanky
- 2012 Pysanka Power #12 More than 80 Pysanky Tips
- 2011 to 2013 Baba's Beeswax Newsletters
- 2011 Book Launch of About the PysankaIt Is Written! A Bibliography (video)
- 2008 Pysanka Symposium and Book Launch in Washington, DC (video)
- 2007 About the PysankaIt Is Written! A Bibliography by Joan Brander
- 2006 Lesson Plan How to Make A Star Rosette
- 2006 Pysanky 4 Fun Pamphlet Symbols and Their Meanings
- 1997 Pysanky on Paper: An Activity Book for Children (formerly published by Bluenose Press)
- 1997 Pysanky 4 Fun Crossword Puzzle Activity Sheet
- 1997 Pysanky Egg-tivity Scrambled Pysanky Egg Words Pamphlet
- 1995 - 2001 EGGS-aminer Newsletter
- Greeting Cards Designs
- A Symphony of Pysanky
- Baba's Pysanky
- Christmas Peace
- Easter Blessings
- Eggs Beautiful
- Groovy Peace, Love, Pysanky
- Home is where your kistka is
- Hoppy Easter
- I Heart Pysanka
- Keep calm and write pysanky
- Pysanka Legend
- Pysanka Party
- Pysanka Power
- Pysanky Shopping List
- Stay calm and carry a kistka
Mark of Distinction
2007 About the PysankaIt Is Written! A Bibliography by Joan Brander received a mark of distinction from the Library of Congress. More
info about this book
Social Media Platform
Pysanky Expert Joan Brander
| Joan has her own page on our website. Please select this link for information about her.
What Our Fans Are Saying About Us - Pre-Social
- (Mar 10, 2012) from Meridith, Lexington, Indiana - Hello! I appreciate the personal email. Everything arrived just fine; thanks for excellent service! My oldest son,
who is 32 this year, is my pysanky partner. He designs beautiful eggs; his favorite design is fashioned after Grecian pottery. In fact, he asked for some books on Greek pottery
for his birthday this year so he could get some new ideas. He also makes what he refers to as "Art Deco" eggs. He and I also have made several "scarab" eggs,
with a scarab beetle on one side and heiroglyphics on the other. Through the years, I have tried to make an egg each year for each of my children (5 of them!) commemorating that
year's milestones (sports accomplishments, graduations, hobbies, colleges, etc.) Now when we get out the eggs each year, everyone has a basket of eggs that is a scrapbook of
sorts! As they get married and have their own homes, they take their eggs with them. Now I'm working on eggs for the grandchildren. The quality of our eggs has improved greatly
since we have been ordering supplies from you! Thanks again.
(Jan 24, 2011) from Mary, Cody, Wyoming - I enjoy working with you because of the excellent customer service and friendly reply. I especially enjoyed the apple
green dye. It worked really well with the dark green and the jade green for trees.
- (Dec 14, 2010) from Jon, Idaho - Thanks so much for taking the time to talk with me over the phone this afternoon Joan. I was waffling back and forth quite a bit
about whether or not to spend the money on introducing pysanky to my wife and daughter, but you were so helpful and knowledgeable that It just felt like the right choice to make.
I've gotten so used to ordering things impersonally over the internet that I had forgotten how nice It is to do business with friendly people who care about what they do and
the products they are selling.
- (Mar 2, 2008) from David, Mesa, Arizona - Thanks again for being there to provide the tools and resources needed by folks like me who want to learn this art form.
I look forward to many years of enjoyment decorating eggs.
- (Feb 20, 2008) from Delaney, Cooper City, Florida - I have been doing pysanky since I was a little girl with my Ukrainian grandmother. Both my mother and sister are
artists and I have always been the least artistically inclined of the three of us. However, I've found that my passion for color, and the repetitive patterns of pysanky along
with the history and fond childhood memories have incited some sort of a passion for me and have created an unlikely artistic outlet where before I had none. It's been several
years since I last dyed some eggs as I found finding black dye and beeswax was harder than I imagined. Your website was like an oasis. I am so excited to get out my kitskas.
- (Feb 12 2008) from Roberta, San Antonio, Texas - I don't know what the magic stuff is in your varnish, but I think its fabulous for pysanky. Never could find anything
- (March 12, 2007) from Daphne - Just a quick note to say thanks for the terrific workshop on Tuesday. All the kids (and parents!) had a great time. I was stunned that
Duncan actually finished his egg. As I told you, he NEVER does art. (He is learning disabled and gifted -- music is his passion and he's never shown any interest in the visual).
It was great to see him captivated by the project -- and actually finish It!! He was very proud of himself and he even did another egg the next day, using the kit we bought.
- (Mar 10, 2007) from Shannon King, Program Coordinator - I cannot thank you enough for putting on another fantastic workshop for the Delta Museum and Archives. Your
workshop is so well organized and so enjoyable. It is such a pleasure to hear the laughter coming from the program room, knowing that the participants are having a wonderful
time at your workshop.
- (Mar 18, 2004) from Linda- My interest in pysanky started when our daughter was in Northern Sask. working at her first teaching position. That was about 6 or 7 years
ago. We were fortunate to be able to visit her there, and one of the other teachers was a Ukrainian girl from southern Sask. She showed a few of us the technique and I've made
a few eggs each year since. I also share the ideas with my friends and co-workers. I'll have a few girls here in the evening, and we all try our hand at decorating eggs. I think
It is a wonderful tradition that would have been great to grow up with. Thanks again for providing a Canadian site to order my supplies.
- (Mar 18, 2004) from Lisa- I received my order last Tuesday and created my first three eggs yesterday (Wednesday). I am thrilled. This is a lot of fun. I am not doing
traditional designs because I had It in my mind to try stain glass like pictures on the eggs. It is working!!! Or at least on a learning curve level It is.
This is so great. I retired as a technical computer trainer two years ago and began to pursuer my dreams in woodworking inlay, sculpture, and art furniture. I also
love hockey, not playing, teaching other who have not grown up with It how to enjoy watching. Combining two passions, earlier this year I joined some friends as they attempted
to introduce a new minor league hockey team (UHL Columbus Stars) here in central Ohio. My NHL team is the Columbus Blue Jackets. Your Canucks just acquired Sanderson from us,
hope he does well for you. I know he will love Vancouver. But the Stars failed financially and folded in January (We were #1 in the league this was a terrible blow to
all of us.) So I retreated to my workshop in the mountains of North Carolina. We have a log home on top of a mountain there. Unfortunately I took a tumble down the stairs and
broke my foot! This has not been my favorite winter. So I had to return to Ohio and after four weeks found out I had to have surgery. So I am totally off my feet and can not
go anywhere. It is my right foot so even when I can walk a bit I can not drive. This is where you come to my rescue. I can not do my woodworking with out my shop or tools and
I have to stay off my feet. Another dream of mine was to try dyed pictures on eggs. I have seen demos on HGTV (home and garden TV) but I thought It would be expensive or hard
to get the materials, etc. When I found your website I was thrilled. A week ago Tuesday I had my surgery and to be honest was a little depressed and bored with the realization
of extended recuperation time. I am lucky I was not injured more, please understand I am not complaining, just sharing the facts. So the day after my surgery I order your kit!
WHAT FUN!!! I am looking forward to making a lot of thank you egg gifts for my wonderful neighbors, family and friends who have been so kind to me.
(Apr 1, 2003) from Trish - My mom is Lithuanian and when I was growing up, her cousin decorated eggs. Not as colorful as the traditional Ukrainian ones, but made
with lots of love and care. I have some pysanky over 50 years old that belonged to her! I was happy to find your site with everything I need. Eggstreamly eggcited artist who
wants to keep the old tradition alive.
- (Dec 6, 2002) from Marcia in Massachusetts-Boston - I am somewhat new to pysanky--I am the kid next door who loved the history and tradition of Ukraine as told by
my friend's grandma. Now I am many years older and would like to get back to It again. I loved your web site; It inspired me to get re-started.
- (Aug 16, 2001) from Myrna in Freehold, NJ - I find pysanky very relaxing. It helps quiet my mind during a very busy Lent and Easter season (I'm a minister). The supplies
I ordered are going to be used at a camp I am directing for people living with AIDS. I am hoping that they find creating Pysanky a way to focus and also create beauty in their
- (Aug 3, 2001) from Joyce in Toronto - I have an interesting story to tell you. I was wearing your t-shirt on the 15 hour ferry between Argentia, Newfoundland and
North Sydney, Nova Scotia. I was standing in the food lineup, and this woman comes over to me and says "I noticed your logo. I've bought stuff from you". I then had to explain
that I was your sister, and not you. She said that she loved your products and we had a nice chat. Gord and I wear your t-shirts often, and sometimes they get noticed with the
most interesting comments from people. Keep up the good work.
- from Monica in New Brunswick (Canada) - My pysanky supplies arrived!! Yay! A VERY big thank you!! I got my stuff today in the mail and It all looks great. My biggest
regret is not choosing to order all the pysanky stuff I ordered through your company. I'm just starting to do this stuff and I spent a lot of time trying to find good prices,
etc. on the internet. Your company stood out to me. I really love the layout of your site...it's very user friendly. I was going to order all my stuff from you, but I was feeling
impatient, so I found a site that I could order everything directly over the Internet rather than mailing my order in. BIG MISTAKE!! Although ordering was quick, their delivery
hasn't been. They live much closer to me, but you guys sent everything so speedily and in great shape!!! Thanks a million! I PROMISE to order all my stuff from you! Keep up the
- from Diane, a teacher in Port Coquitlam, B.C.- I just wanted to thank you for the prompt service you gave us! I'd also like to thank you for all the extra price lists
for my workshop. I look forward to ordering from you again next season
- from Jamie - It is so wonderful to be able to order these supplies from you. Thanks again, I am sure to be a regular customer!
- from Lynne - Hi. Just to let you know that my order arrived on Tuesday. The package survived the trip quite nicely, and everything is in good order. I cannot say
the same of my four-year old who was really disappointed the package was not for him! Thanks for your help and quick response to my order. I look forward to dealing with you
again in the near future.
- From Carol - The order came in and looks like everything arrived in good condition. You certainly packaged the eggshells well. Usually they are the first to break.
Anyway I am anxious to get started and try your products. Thank you
- from Lou - Just to let you know I received my order and It arrived in good shape. Thank you for the prompt delivery. I am excited to try out all the new colors. I
am happy to find out that I could order so many things from you. Thanks again